Saturday 29 June 2013

Time trialling with Formula 1 tactics.


It gives some, it takes some. Yesterday, however, it seemed to take little bit more than some. It was the time trial nats over a rolling course of 45kms. I felt pretty ok the whole day and felt that the extreme addition of carbs had changed my legs at least a bit. Despite that, I started cautiously as I wasn't quite sure how it will turn out.

Eventually my slow start was pretty good to the turn around. Then I was kinda counting kilometres to get going on the last ten miles – at least that was my mind set. Then became the problems with my bike. Nothing lifts the spirit like three dropped chains in time trial race. I count it to some extent as bad luck as the bike was perfectly fine in the shakedown and warm-up. Yet I was forced to use the tactics applied by Red Bull and other F1 one teams, except I didn't change any parts. Another difference seems to be that in the F1, three stop tactics seems to work, but in time trialling – it definitely doesn't. Bullshit, some might say and well, so did I. I lost quite some time, but that didn't cost me a medal at the end, but some places it did. I finished 15th. Still I decided to finish and for a great surprise I happened to fit in to the team winning the team competition, which was a lucky end to a quite dull day.

Despite all the issues my performance was fairly alright. I felt good all the way. However, there is one thing that bogs me. I'm riding my bike with ease at the moment. I just can't get it all out. I somehow can't get a sick feeling of going fast. The efforts are steady, but submaximal at this point. It is a shame, but there are things we can do about it. We are working on that and on the chain problem as well.

Tomorrow is a race day again. Road nationals this time. Having seen the course, I feel the race is gonna fairly nervy until the main contenders start to make moves. We will see about that then! But first things first – I'm feeling well good today, submaximal time trial you know - so I think I just might start waking and working my maximals already today.

No comments:

Post a Comment