Sunday 15 February 2015

Not just another race report.


As I've mentioned in social media, I have – in seriously exaggerating terms – conquered other endurance discipline than cycling. It was crosscountry skiing, and it was a week ago. And yet, I don't think my shoulders have recovered, but that is already different story.

My team mates brought up the event, Hyvinkää hiihto, just in a middle of a general discussion and as I have been planning to participate in such mass event – I kind of took the bait. Main reason being that Hyvinkää was near and the date was suitable.

So, the weather on Sunday was clear, but windy with temperatures in slight minuses. I had also learned from Ville, a team mate of mine and a wizard in ski waxing, that in xc-skiing picking the right pair of skis and the perfect ski preparation is a key to success. Therefore, I spent my Saturday doing careful testing of different types of skis, ski waxes and the perfect grind. I think I found one. I picked the skis and prepped them with care for Sunday. After all, the choice was relatively easy. I picked my classic skis with the zero base, because they are my only skis.

On the morning of the event, I saw bunches of keen skiers prepping their skis with passion all around the start area and I didn't have to. Then, I went to the start and after first few kicks and pushes I made one heck of a discovery. My skis didn't glide too well, but they did so forwards and backwards, which wasn't such a pleasure to discover in a classic style event. I couldn't help, but laugh – and yes, but to do a raw push for the entire 40km distance.

The course wasn't so bad for such style. Not perfect, but not bad. The only thing is with a roughened base, the skis just don't work as they should for such style. So there I was, trying to glide with skis, that don't glide – hard it was. Nonetheless, I did my two laps of the course and finished the event anyway. I had good time, and I got what I wanted – good training and mass event experience.


To wrap this all up. I participated, I finished and for the next event I need to change my ski guy, in other words some expertise could help. So, the conditions and skis were against me, and me, my technique and condition was somewhere between terrific and amazing. What I'm saying is that the skis took my chances of having skiing event of my life. And in fact, that is not true. I had the event of my life, as I've never done one before and I learned lots. The importance of skis, position in the group, conditions and so on. Now, what you should learn from this never to blame yourself for unsatisfying performances – it is the equipment, conditions or someone else. And yes, I am just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment