Monday 21 March 2011

What's going on - even the doctor doesn't know...

First a word of warning: The following text will not be fun or humoristic. The author hasn’t had fun for a while.

As I wrote last time I had had fever for almost a week, but it hadn’t been any severe. However, the universe kept playing with me and the temperatures kept getting higher and higher. Thursday night I had 38,9 and it only went higher. Friday it was 39,1 and then 39,2. Sunday it was 39,3 and I was so dead that even the normal GP system here wasn’t quite enough to wait until Monday. I couldn’t eat or even watch telly.

After a couple of calls, I got to see a GP that worked out of hours. He eventually sent me down to hospital for some medical tests, as I had been ill for 10 days. My guess is that it wouldn’t be so in Finland. The normal GPs even hesitated with blood tests, but finally took them on Friday morning. However, there was no results even today on Monday for me. “Sorry, your results seem to be late. Please come back tomorrow.”

Not to get lost now then. There I was in Royal Gwent Hospital for blood tests, x-rays and several other tests. The procedures were new to me, but I was only too happy to receive some treatment and get my problem solved. The lab results came out in an hour, and it became obvious that my CRP-value, which indicates infection, was rather high. Actually it was roughly 70 times the normal healthy value. Also my haemoglobin was very, very low. No can do and yet no-one knows what is the origin.

So I had to stay overnight in the hospital to receive antibiotics straight to vein and also for inspection. Anyway, this morning I got back home with my third kind of antibiotics. I really hope this one works and I can start to feel normal again.

Time will tell when I can get back on my bike again. But first it is time to kill the infection. If these antibiotics start to work I might be able to be back on my bike late this week. If not, I have no idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment