Saturday 19 April 2014

Tough times.

Ok, time to get back on with the blog. No excuses, no nothing. After all the busyness in the university and some racing miles – it is just time to type something up.

University work is something that did cause stress and distractions for a while. However, the while is now over and everything bit of course work is submitted. Happy days in a sense, although there is the thesis to get on with.

Riding has been ok in training, but the start of the racing season that I so much looked forward to has been tough (some other adjectives would be suitable as well...). A week ago, it was the university champs in 3up time trialling in Oxford. After traveling through the country I ended up stranded with a puncture after two miles or so. Bad luck, I thought then – which it honestly was. As the opening test went to the bin, we carried on training and on Wednesday night I found myself from Cleish, Fife, riding a midweek time trial over five miles. It all went to plan and I really was looking forward to the universities 10 miler, held on today in near Cambridge.

Total disaster, and yes, I'm a fair bit freaked out. I don't want to go to much into providing different or long explanations. Saying that, one word is enough: asthma. It was quite apparent when I reflected my feeling to what was apparent in the powerfile – interesting stuff non the least. Putting things to context; it has been said that 'love is important in life, but you know, oxygen is even more important'. That is very much applicable to time trialling as well. Considering the performance itself and the eventual outcome, 6th place, it may not sound all that bad. But it is, by definition. The disappoinment shed some tears even, I gotta admit that. I prepared to give my all and I rode to fight for win. Yet I did not.

There are certain ideas to go with from here regarding the breathing problems, thanks to Sami for some consultancy. Each one them is luckily sound and valid. Just gotta do some testing, I guess.


Now it feels that I am digging deep. The character is tested when you are up against it, said Dick Vermeil, a famous NFL coach. Now it is up to me to prove my character to myself: learn, reflect, and progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment