Saturday 21 July 2012

U6 stage race


U6 Cycle Tour

Hey, I'm back home and I'm alive. My first experience in stage was a nice one – well mostly. Now that I'm home tired and caught a bit of a cold I can sum the trip up stage by stage.

Prologue
It was 3.4k ride with a hill to finish it up. I had absolutely no idea how to ride the hill, so I ended up sparing power for the misery of a hill climb and figured 200m before the finish line that I had plenty left in the tank. The ride was not a bad one, yet I was tad disgusted with my tactics. I finished 18th and was ready to tackle the coming challenges.

Stage 1
I woke up to a hellish rain and summed the day pretty much up in matter of seconds: 147km + rain + gravel road is not gonna be such a beautiful day on bike. However, I was surprised how easily I was able to hang in the bunch and even closer to the end got into a small breakaway attempt, which at the end went nowhere. Then the misery began, I lost the nose piece of my glasses and all the mud, sand and everything went into my eyes and it caused a temporary blindness for the rest of the evening. An experience I don't wish have again, and after visiting local hospital I got some antiobiotics to the scars and bruises in my eyes, which helped. And oh, at the end of the day I got stuck behind a crash and was dropped. Such a good stage, ehh?

Stage 2
The longest one of all. It was 171km including a bit of a finish hill. In the morning, luckily dry and bright this time, I was yet unsure whether I was in a form to ride or even to start as my sight was kinda blurred still. We decided to give a go by hanging in the sun deck (end of peloton) and for my luck the breakaway of the day went quite quickly away and all the strong teams had their riders up there. At one part the gap was more than 10 mins and the peloton speeded up for quite some time getting the gap somewhere around 5 mins. At that time I still had no struggle, which I was more than happy with. Then there went some more breakaways up there and we just rode to the finish hill safely. There I decided to show up what a trackie without any capabilities can do. Honestly, it wasn't very much, as many can guess. I tried a long finishing sprint from somewhere around 600m away and died during the last 100m totally just trying to avoid causing any crashes.

Stage 3
My beloved criterium was on at Wednesday. Not much to say about it. I quite don't like it and hanging at the back in criteriums is a suicidal move in such race, but it is exactly what I did. I could hang in there for some time but then dropped back down to wait the bunch catch a lap. Yet somewhere in the middle my left crank got stucked, which certainly didn't help. I could say, that a top three would have been realistic without the crank issue – but it would be a lie and a bad one. I commited a suicide criterium-wise and got caught by that.

Stage 4
Hillyish and shortish road stage (75km) consisting of ten laps with a finishing hill. Tiredness started to feel and again I decided to hang at the back, which worked fine until last lap when the group was blown in the crosswinds. I decided to roll home easily and lost some time. I wouldn't like to mention the weather, but it wasn't on our side and now I'm sick.

Stage 5
Time trial with tired legs is always funny. We had an ambitious plan, which worked up to 10km mark, but the time trial still included four more kilometers so I died quite spectacularly. I got my best individual stage placing however and in terms of time differences it wasn't so bad afterall.

Good trip except the illnesses I got.


No comments:

Post a Comment