Tuesday 18 August 2015

No better place than home.

So the trip ended, and so ended the roller coaster. Imagine a roller coaster that takes you to heights, takes a severe free fall to get up to speed and then, derails in the first loop – and does so in a spectacular manner. So was the ending to my trip.

We competed in UCI Europe Tour races in severe heat in southernmost Poland. In fact, official recommendation by some instances was to avoid physical exertion due to excessive heat. Of course, the racing was on. My problem wasn't the heat, it may have exaggerated my underlying problems, but definitely played no major factor. I was happy how I coped with it. Yet again I came to face my personal issues with criterium type of racing and harvesting season. The races were over before they really started from my part.

I have to state that I was about survive the initial surge in the first race, when it comes to the above mentioned challenges. I overcame the blocked breathing and found some ease in the back of the peloton, and then came the derailment. A guy in front of me slipped in a right hander and blocked my riding line. I was forced to crash since hopping on pavement and making a sharp right was not within possibilities. So, I hopped on pavement and quickly chose the best option to crash on. The options were a milestone, electric wire post, fence or bush. I opted for the bush and escaped with a scratch or two. However, one of them was bleeding and I was taken to ambulance, which was one of the most interesting rides I've ever experienced. I got my wounds checked and then was left at the finish line, where I finally found my bike as well. Lucky escape.

The second race was plain and simply over due to – yeah, you know it, and it is not worth describing. Frustrated and disappointed we drove home through the Baltic states. A day of feeling jet lagged was in the plan, but then it was back to basics.


Since, then I've tested and experimented with things cycling wise and there may soon be some good news on the professional front as well. More on that later though.

No comments:

Post a Comment