Wednesday 5 August 2015

The rollercoaster continues

After two weekends of racing, it was again time to recover for two days and thus, refresh and replenish. It went fairly ok except that I never really felt refreshed and replenished. Nonetheless, I had good time visiting the terrain of WUC 2014 again and as a matter of fact, after the mountains I've done in across the border that hill felt... say reasonable. Then it was time for another high end session to prepare for the weekend of racing. It was good, and hard – maybe too hard I thought initially. However, retrospectively I don't think that was the case.

So on saturday morning we drove to Chudoslavice for Force Cup (Czech equal for the Finnish Skoda cup). A long race with one sharp climb in the beginning of the lap, which was supposed to be completed 15 times. My race was over within minutes of the start, but I managed to hang on for couple of laps in total. In fact, some people may know the feeling when you see the course, take a bit of warm and unconsciously (or consciously) understand that DNS would perhaps be the best of options. It is just ridiculous. But this should be no surprise, I hate criteriums – because I suck in them - and the race was ridden like one. 

For that there is a valid reason, which I can explain at some point - and most likely will do so. However, I'm not gonna promise that it is understandable, because despite having studied it myself – I'm relatively uncertain of my own understanding. In essence, I'm allergic to combine harvesters (Finnish: leikkuupuimuri), even if it was a John Deere. That is to say, that when the harvesting is on going – I'm again stuck with my asthma.

So, there I was standing in middle of the Czech conti and top end amateur teams waiting for the gun go off on conditions that suited me like... In Finnish I'd say: ”sopi kuin jalka paskaan., which means, in short, that even starting was questionable. There we went up the hill, and my ventilation got stuck within minutes of the start and that was it. It was one of those races, where you hope that a break will form and peloton will slow. I was so glad to see the big break going almost from the start, but it was too big and the riding continued like in crits – full gas or coasting. Surely not my piece cake and a sod DNF as a result. Also they ride these races here in a way, that likely leads to such fashion of racing.

The uncertainty took place and I was a bit moody on the way back. Amongst all the loathing I did discover something that could provide helpful. This race actually confirmed my suspicion of the harvesting seasons, which is dull. However, the feeling of hardness to breath during warm up seems symptomatic, which is good info. Anyway, we decided that I would start the next day again despite the apparent problems. And so we go to racing again.

The course was easier and field smaller, but still there was some good racing going on. On the first of six laps, I found myself in a lone break, which was taken down quite quickly. Then there were other lone breaks. Eventually, the race was decided in a finishing break of three guys (myself included) – the break was formed in manner that I don't agree with at all. It was rather embarrassing. Struggling with my lung function, my breakaway companion left on a hill and then it was a lone time trial to the finish. I was second, on the podium, and happy. Despite the hindrance, I managed myself well and rode a good race.

The events have been great. The atmosphere is enjoyable. The organization is superb in general. Racing is tough. And then a word of event sponsoring and prizes. They are handled generously and the prizes have varied. I'v had one trophy, t-shirt, pens, cheque for bike shop, cash, coffee cup, Birell non-alcoholic beer (which my mum took), Svijany special beer (which my dad took), a cake (which will be shared once team arrives here) and a shower handle – yes surely and certainly!


Then again, it has been about recovering for the UCI races in southern Poland. The temperature is on the rise, and it is not gonna be easy by any means. Hotness in combination with harvesting season puts on a question mark and all I can do is to give my all and try to be wise.

3 comments:

  1. luton parking meet and greet is the best solution of parking for the travellers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love roller coaster. It is the best thing in our world. meet and greet luton airport

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were managment flaws and the issue must be resolved with the help of appropriate management.
    gatwick meet and greet

    ReplyDelete