Friday 27 January 2012

Competitive mindset.

So last I tallied about dreams and targets in sport. But another things is how to achieve them. This post is not about the training plan or specific training about it. I'm talking about the philosophy behind my thoughts about how to attain the form. My thoughts are from my head, movies, books etc.

I believe that in cycling, and more specificly in my disciplines, one always gets the results that one deserves. Right? You race as you train; if you back up in training when it hurts, you are likely to do that in racing as well. So if you give your 100% in training and prep, you will end up the result that you deserve. Same thing is that, if you give your 50% in training and prep, you'll end up with what you deserve, although the results may not be satisfactory.

I, personally, try to do things before race 'perfectly' so that on a race day I can just enjoy, ride the hell out of me and bag the result. I can only do that if I've got the feeling that everything is done for the performance. By this I mean that I'm in control of myself – I control the controllables and forget about the uncontrollables. The things that I can't control don't matter so why bother thinking about them. I'm still working on it, but I think that it is starting to work.

A track cycling legend, Chris Boardman, has said: 'Develop a fascination with the journey rather than the destination – or focus on being better rather than being the best. It means you never fail, only have opportunities to improve.' And I can only agree. It is the journey that brings me the happiness more often in many ways. Improving, taking steps, going towards the dreams keeps the motivation up. I think this has been a vital thing for me on my training.

On the last bit, we are in centre field of a velodrome on the way to the starting block. By that time the only thing that matters is that moment. Living in the moment and loving the hard battle - once I always attain that, it will be great. Some people call that flow. Then, only then, I can ride my perfect rides:

-Where are you?
-Here.
-What time is it?
-Now.
-What are you?
-This moment.

My favourite quote from Peaceful Warrior, I strongly recommend that movie to everyone.

P.S. This was just an overview. I could go more into setting mind correctly. Just drop a comment or question... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment