Saturday 11 February 2012

The beauty of a rest day.


On Wednesday I had a horrible session consisting of four 72 second intense efforts with 180 second rest intervals simulating the upcoming kilo, and as a bonus some max wattage efforts. On thursday, I had an active recovery. And yesterday pyramid effort from consisting of two, three, four, three and at last another two mins efforts just give a bit of depth for the kilo. The main sessions have been like these two intense ones during last two weeks or so. It's been quite a killer, but yet I've managed to complete them alright. But today is a day off from training.

Another point is uniwork. When I train, I train. When I do uniwork, I think when I'd have time to rest. And when I rest, I feel pressure to do uniwork. Kind of a mind fuck, but in truth, uniwork has lately proved to be a rather nice escape from the training regime. And my dissertation project has taken many steps forward. It is just a major balancing act to get it all suitably fitted in the program, but it can be done effectively.

But back to the header. What's the most beautiful thing on a rest day? The waking up to the fact that there is no training might be one. The thought, that I can just lay and do nothing is another. And the most peaceful morning coffee is just something purely amazing. That might be it, the beauty of the day. I don't know, but somehow at the end of the day, I really start to look forward to get back on the bike and going again, but that ain't a bad thing either.

Today is a rest day, and I've now had my perfect morning coffee. It is time to take care of some practicalities first, draw some graphs for uni and then ultimately it is time for Six Nations rugby action. I'm not gonna move from the sofa this afternoon! Proper rest, isn't proper rest if you do something all the time. And the beauty of rest days ultimately lays within the art of being lazy for one chosen day.

No comments:

Post a Comment