Sunday 25 March 2012

BUCS Track Champs



Today was racing time. I rode the individual pursuit and kilo in the British University championships. The schedule was tough and I knew it beforehand so that's no excuse. Anyway, this morning I went out for a solid wake-up ride in the Welsh countryside and felt pretty much alright.

The schedule was tight due to high number of entries. At the end of the day I found myself qualifying for IP and riding kilo and IP finals inside 45mins. Tough love, I say. In the qualifiers I gave my best and finished with 4.45.581 breaking my previous PB by nearly 4 seconds. Happy days, but my opponent in the final, Sebastian Pancratz, smashed us all by cruising a classy time of 4.35,726.

Next up was the kilo. I surprised myself by riding a new PB (1.07,026) and eventually winning the event. And there is always the if-factor, which in this case is that I could have gone under 1.07 if didn't have to overtake my pair. But that's just exaggerating. These things belong to the sport, and rightly so. Next up, after ten mins of catching breath, was the IP finals, which I entried with incorrect gearing and empty legs. No wonder Sebastian caught me, and honestly it could have happened with or without the kilo. Congrats Sebastian, that was some good class pursuiting. I was all too happy that it was over.

Overall, I really liked the event and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. Thanks for the organizers! Plus, it was cool to ride in my own neighbourhood. Tomorrow will be the medals ceremony and I watch my friend, Tom, riding in the points race and sprint. It is a shame that we don't have teams for team pursuit or sprint!

I got loads of confidence from today and our bit of experimenting with gears worked very well! I'm not telling what I did, but the main thing is that it worked. Anyway, tomorrow I already have to switch my focus to time trialling as next week has three ten milers to offer. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment