Thursday 29 March 2012

Castle Combe 10m TT


My first realization of yesterdays ride was that apparently 10 miles is quite a bit longer than 10 kilos. For me, it took 21 odd minutes to figure that out. I did my first 10 miler in Castle Combe motor circuit yesterday. The course was hard and my legs just weren't quite amazing. Not to exaggerate things, eventually I did alright.

All the same, it was five and a bit laps around the circuit to complete the ten miles. My first thought was that a race around relatively flat motor circuit sounds like a quick course, but as there was like five rhythm changes including corners and chicanes, which unfortunately is not my strongest ability, it was very tough go. By rhythm changes I refer mostly to hills, or in this case mountains, which were more like Col de Galibier or Mortirolo climb. Just kidding. In time trialling constant minor inclines are hard enough.

Now I've hopefully given enough excuses for not going as well as I hoped, I think it is time to give some data: I averaged around 45kph, 370+ watts and placed fourth. There were some decent riders in front of me, so I got some decent references. Besides, that was my first 10miler, so I really didn't know what expect or how to pace myself. After all, I was doing 10 miles in same(ish) pace than 10 kilos at best last season, so numberwise I was going quite OK.

It was second serious effort this season so far and I'm quite certain that after couple more outings I'll start to do one level better. I'm looking forward to that!

At last, I can't help but praise the Wednesday evening event. The atmosphere was so nice and the organization of event was really good. The thing that struck me the most was the toughness of the course, not to forget the safety measures. Closed racing circuit provided a beginner friendly environment for time trialling and it also provided a tough effort for more experienced riders. Only thing was that when I finished it was nearly dark, due to the time of the year. All in all, this is something I'd love to see and ride in Finland as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment