Monday 14 May 2012

A week in Welsh spring


Normally, I don't brag about my training here, and I will not do it soon again after this – or at least so I say. But now that I'm having a well earned rest day and spending it with good coffee, I just think it may be worth giving a word as the week was like perfect. It was solid 21hrs of quality training, including longer rides in the country side and some bit more specific efforts on my beloved Wattbike. From the beginning I've felt that the recovery week in Finland did the trick psychologically, and I've been fresh to get on it again. What really surprised me was the last session last night, as it just came out easily – whilst I was expecting a sufferfest kind of miserable Wattbike hangout. As a bonus the weather has finally improved and I got to ride the amazing valleys and hills here to increase the volumes.

To give an example what I do or did last week, I think this could be a good one. At first an undulating 2hrs on the road bike Then 15min break with something to eat, and then out again with TT-bike and an 60min sub-threshold effort, with efficient cool-down. Some of you may wonder why bother with changing bikes in the middle? The answer is within specificity of training. I have to admit that the effort itself was nothing, but riding an hour trying to control the heart rate – good training though.

Another thing worth mentioning is a target that I achieved. Since the first day here my target has been to get my portrait to the university's sport hall of fame. Now it is true as a consequence to the BUCS track races, and the photo session was held last Wednesday. It was a funny experience and the photographers (Documentary photography students) were such good guys and professionals. They made it easy for me, and for my surprise I found the experience as a funny one, as I normally fail each and every portrait taken...

Now, it is another week of high volume training and then we are back to increasing the intensities. As some of you may know, my time here is over in about two weeks and then I move back to Finland. There comes a time for reflection and flashbacks for my time in here, but the time isn't yet. Racing-wise, it is more about building and training now towards the nationals season in Finland. I'll be riding two more races over here, BUCS crit and road race, and then the next time I'll be seen with bibs is in Finland!

No comments:

Post a Comment