Monday 20 April 2015

Taking a tumble

Picking some adjectives to describe the Finnish season opener held in Pori would be nervous, uneasy and disorderly – to say a few. I think I'm safe in stating I was not the only feeling that way. Nonetheless, first race is now done and I hope we have gotten the most fumes out.

The course was easy and weather wasn't a factor either. Those factors combined with the delightfully big pack of riders made a quick race. As an unwanted side it provided some serious crashes and tumbles during the race. We had a plan, which we all agreed upon. It seemed to work quite well, as the team was present in major moves and breakaway attempts. However, due to the aforementioned factors made the formation of a serious break practically impossible and as we went for the last lap, it was pretty much apparent that the race would be decided in a sprint to the line.

I made a smallest of gaps after last roundabout at 80km point, but never got far. Initially, it wasn't meant to be an attempt, but more taking the bunch to speed to avoid attempts. Then it all happened quickly, as it always does. I dropped a few positions into the bunch to recover for a moment and made space for our guys on their way to the very top positions in the bunch. It was touch and go. Myself and dozen others were down testing the tarmac. I survived remarkably unscratched, except my left hip, which took a hit. My walking looks funny and isn't easy for the moment – nothing too bad. And yes, the bike is fine! One guy from IK-32 took a serious hit and was left unconscious after the accident. Luckily, one of our guy, Pete - paramedic, was there and he took professional care of the situation until official race crew was there. Hats off! After all, Jouni came out with a broken jaw. So needless, but could have been a lot worse.


My race was over and I rolled to the finish to hear that we had a podium to begin with. Saku sprinted to third, but wasn't satisfied as: ”I had the legs to win!” Either or, to me there was more positives in our effort, and easy fixes can be found to take another step forward. Personally, I managed my race satisfyingly. Although, a slight disappointment was my missing of the finale – such things happen. My legs weren't nor good or bad, which was good after some hefty week of training. I'm quite happy after all, except my hip hurts and really looking forward for race to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment